Sanjay K. Gupta, M.D.
Dr. Gupta is an accomplished orthopedic surgeon who has served as the section chief at Danbury Hospital. He completed his orthopedic residency and a Master's in Orthopaedic Engineering at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, UK, before going on to complete a two-year fellowship in adult hip and knee reconstruction at the Hospital for Special Surgery and Lenox Hill Hospital in New York.
Dr. Gupta specializes in Hip and Knee Surgery, with expertise in Minimally Invasive and Robotic-assisted Joint Replacement, Revision Hip and Knee Replacement, and Outpatient Joint Replacement. He is also an assistant professor at the University of Vermont School of Medicine.
Dr. Gupta has an impressive record of research and academic achievements, including winning several awards for his research on hip and joint replacement, presenting to both national and international orthopedic forums, and having his research published in numerous medical journals. In recognition of his excellence in patient care, Dr. Gupta was voted one of Connecticut Magazine's Top Doctors from 2014-2017. He is widely recognized as one of the top joint replacement surgeons in the state.
Dr. Gupta offers complete hip and knee joint replacement care, including:
MAKOplasty Robotic Arm Total Hip Arthroplasty
MAKOplasty Robotic Arm Partial Knee Resurfacing
Unloader Knee Brace for Arthritis
EDUCATION & TRAINING
● Fellowships:Adult Lower Limb Reconstruction Fellow, Aug 2005 – July 2006Hospital for Special SurgeryNew York, NY
Adult Lower Limb Reconstruction Fellow, Aug 2004 – July 2005Under C. S. Ranawat, MDLenox Hill HospitalNew York, NY
● Residency:Orthopaedic Residency, June 1999 – July 2004University Hospital of WalesCardiff, United Kingdom
● Medical Education:Basic Surgical Training, Aug 1996 – June 1999University Hospital of WalesCardiff, United Kingdom
● Graduate:Master in Orthopaedic Engineering, 2000Cardiff UniversityCardiff, United Kingdom
● Undergraduate:Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), 1989-1995JIPMER (Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education andResearch), Pondicherry, India
LICENSURE AND BOARD CERTIFICATION
● Board-certified in Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Physician Specialties, 2020● Board-certified in Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal College of Physician and Surgeons, Canada, Oct 2020● UK (Europe) Board Certified, Oct 2005● Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons (Orthopaedics), Glasgow, UK, Nov 2003● Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons (General Surgery) Part I, Edinburgh, UK, June 1996● Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons Part II, Glasgow, UK. May 1998● Connecticut: Permanent License, 2006-Present.
● Danbury Medical Society, Danbury, CT● Connecticut Orthopaedic Society, CT● American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons● American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons● Fairfield County Medical Society
● Lighthouse Surgical Center● New Milford Hospital● Chief, Section of Orthopaedics, Danbury Hospital, Danbury CT, June 2016-Present● Medical Director, Joint Replacement Program, Danbury Hospital, CT, 2015-Present● Danbury Hospital, Danbury, CT, Attending, 2006-Present.● Danbury Surgical Centre, Danbury, CT, Attending, 2006-Present.
● Clinical Assistant Professor University of Vermont, Department of Surgery, 2014-Present
● Vitals Patients’ Choice Award● Vitals Compassionate Doctor Award● Vitals On-Time Doctor Award● Voted Connecticut “Top Doctors” 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. Voted as the best surgeon by peers in Orthopaedic Surgery.● “10-year survivorship of total hip arthroplasty for femoral head osteonecrosis in young patients: Is the problem bearing wear or fixation failure?” First prize for best paper at Lenox Hill Hospital Alumni day, New York, 13th May 2005.● Sir John Charnley Travelling fellowship for Arthroplasty (UK) for 2004/2005.
● Ethicon Foundation Traveling Fellowship Fund from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow for the fellowship year 2004-2005.● Panel member of the second Professional Select Committee on Orthopedic wound care-Royal college of Surgeons-London, UK, 18th June 2003. Report Published in The Times (leading newspaper of UK) Sept 30, 2004.● Accord (Johnson-Elloy) Total Knee Replacement: Why did it fail?. Top six papers at the Welsh Orthopedic Society meeting, May 2003.● Do single fractures of the Pelvic ring exist? Awarded best paper at Welsh Orthopedic society, Swansea, 14th May 2004.