Phase I (Weeks 4-10)
- Weightbearing: As tolerated in the hinged knee brace locked in extension.
- Hinged Knee Brace: Progressive increase in flexion allowed under guidance of PT.- Week 4: 0-30°, Week 5: 0-40°, Week 6: 0-70°, Week 8: 0-90°, Week 10: Unlocked.
- Range of Motion: PROM and AAROM as tolerated according to restrictions above.
- Therapeutic Exercise.- Begin isometric quadriceps strengthening, straight leg raises.- Patellar mobilization, scar massage.
Phase II (Weeks 10-16)
- Weightbearing: As tolerated — in unlocked hinged knee brace until week 12.
- Hinged Knee Brace: Completely unlocked for Weeks 10-12, Discontinue brace at Week 12 if patient capable of straight leg raise with good quad control.
- Range of Motion: AAROM à AROM as tolerated, Goal: full flexion by week 12-14.
- Therapeutic Exercise.- Continue with patellar mobilizations.- Start stationary bicycle when ROM allows, Aquatic therapy.- Begin progressive resistance exercises/therabands.
Phase III (Months 4-6)
- Weightbearing: As tolerated.
- Range of Motion: Full and painless.
- Therapeutic Exercise.- Continue with quadriceps strengthening, Focus on single leg strength.- Start treadmill walking – progress to light jogging starting at month 6.
Phase IV (Months 6-12)
- Gradual return to athletic activity as tolerated.
- Maintenance program for strength and endurance.